Preservation Louisville Announces Metro’s 2009
Top 10 Most Endangered Historic Places & Top 10 Preservation Successes
Louisville’s Top 10 Preservation Success
US Marine Hospital
The U. S. Marine Hospital, designed by Robert Mills, has served the Louisville community since its opening in 1852, first as a marine hospital and later as a hospital for soldiers and war veterans. The Marine Hospital is now stable, safe and ready for its future. With the building’s exterior fully restored, plans are proceeding to allow the grand old building to serve generations yet to come. The United States Marine Hospital, located in the Portland neighborhood, is Louisville’s most direct link to its medical heritage.
The six building complex includes the buildings located at 800-812 E. Market St., 215 S. Shelby St., and 216 S. Shelby St. and was listed in the National Register of Historic Places on October 1, 1983, as part of the Phoenix Hill National Register Historic District. The buildings are a collection of commercial and residential structures dating primarily to the late nineteenth century. The buildings were saved from demolition in 2008. The properties were purchased and are currently being restored.
Located on the north side of Broadway between Brook and Floyd Streets, next to the Norton Healthcare complex there are two historically significant buildings called the Vogt mansion and the Lemon Gallery. Norton has submitted a plan to the Metro Planning Commission for its new cancer center, which shows the Vogt/Lemon properties preserved and a new building being built beside and behind it. We applaud a company like Norton Healthcare that acquires property for expansion and in their development plans they show respect for the historic fabric of our community by preserving these historic structures.
Located at the corner of 3rd St. and Chestnut, originally designed in 1924 as a Lodge for the Order of the Elks, the building remains as one of the ﬁnest examples of the neo-classic revival style that grew in popularity during the 1920s. After the Elks left the building it operated as the Henry Clay Hotel for almost 40 years, then as a YWCA until 1988. This building was restored by City Properties and now has retail shops, condos, office space and rental space for events. This building is a great example of the adaptive reuse of a building, combining all the different uses into one property.
The Reynolds Building, a historic four-story structure at Third Street and Eastern Parkway, built in 1915, started out as a Ford Motor Co. assembly plant designed by industrial architect Albert Kahn, who is known throughout the world for his industrial designs of the early 20th century. In 1940, Reynolds Metals bought the facility, first using it to make aircraft parts in World War II and later using it as a national sales office. When Reynolds left Louisville in 1958, it gave the building to the University of Louisville. U of L and a Lexington developer have converted the Reynolds Building into upscale loft condominiums.
Located at Seventh and Shipp Streets: American-Standard is famous for countless plumbing-related products. Until the late 1980s most of the manufacturing took place within the complex on Seventh Street in Louisville. The original site comprised fifty-three acres and some sixty buildings. At its peak the company employed over five thousand workers. The building was saved from demolition and has been adapted for reuse as a parking facility.
1254 S. Brook St.
In late 2006 Inspections Permits and License (IPL) issued an emergency demolition order on this house for structural reasons. Because of its location in the Old Louisville Landmarks District, Metro Landmarks Commission requested a short grace period and immediately contacted Gary Kleier. Mr. Kleier inspected the house and, assured IPL that the house could be saved. He then with a partner Steve Stenbro, negotiated the purchase of the property and within days of accepting the project, began the process of restoring the house and today the house is stable.
Howard Hardy House
Christ Church Cathedral restored this historic property located on the 400 block of S. 2nd St. next to the church. This property was once the former Miller Cafeteria. The building is on the National Register of Historic Places and is one of only two surviving pre-1840 residences in downtown Louisville. The Howard-Hardy House was converted into 4,500 square feet of office space and included many environmental and sustainable projects, such as converting the building to use a Geothermal energy system.
The historic Von Allmen Dairy Farm Residence located at 5050 Norton Healthcare Boulevard was built circa 1912. The property is significant for its association with Emil Von Allmen, who was among Louisville’s influential dairymen, and was at the forefront of implementing modern sanitation methods in the local dairy industry. The building was purchased by local chef, Dean Corbett and adapted into a restaurant. Every aspect of the mansion has been lovingly restored and this property offers its guests an elegant, inviting dining experience.
1702 Prentice St. (Habitat for Humanity House)
Located in Louisville’s California neighborhood, this house was donated to Habitat for Humanity. Unlike the majority of their houses, which are new constructions, Habitat for Humanity decided to restore this house using some materials from their Habitat Restore. This three brick, camel back shotgun house was saved from demolition and now houses a wonderful family that needed a home. In the future Habitat for Humanity would like to do more restorations, to help keep the historic fabric of our neighborhoods intact.